Box dyes. Often a professional hair colourist’s worst nightmare. There are many reasons as to why home box-dyes may not be the best idea for you and your hair. This post tells you 3 of those reasons, so if you’re a home box-dye user then sit back, listen up and take notes!
1. Yes some things come in ‘one size fits all’, but that is not the case for hair dye. Any professional will provide accurate advice and will tailor your colour to your specific needs. We are all unique, and so is our hair- therefore, all should be treated differently. Box-dyes are aimed to appeal to the masses, therefore the box-dye cannot be customised to one person’s hair.
There are many factors a colourist will consider when dying hair, here is to list a few:
- The natural hair colour level and its pigment
- Previous hair colouring treatments
- Skin tones
- The natural condition of the hair
All things box-dyes fail to ask you when you pick them up at the local pharmacy or supermarket.
2. Not all of us have studied to be hair colourists. Do not think that you are the only person not to know the difference between semi, demi and permanent hair colour, most of us don't. Here is a breakdown of the differences:
- Semi-permanent - This type of colour contains no ammonia and simply deposits the colour, the dye can last anywhere between 4-12 washes.
- Demi-permanent - Same as semi-permanent, the colour contains no ammonia and deposits the colour. However, this is then mixed with a low-volume developer which makes it lasts up to 24 shampoos.
- Permanent - This colour permanently dyes itself on the hair, lasting infinite amounts of washing with only slight fading, rather than completely washing out.
That is a lot of information to digest… and can get confused, just like box-dyes. They claim to be semi or demi-permanent dyes and ‘will wash out after 12 washes’, but more often than not this is not the case. With box-dyes you run the risk of keeping that patchy, faded and complete opposite colour than on the box hair until it grows out. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.
3. Often box-dyes are done alone, in your bathroom, wearing old clothes you don’t mind ruining, trying to manoeuvre your arms so that you don't miss a patch at the back… which you still almost always do. You simply cannot beat professional application, no worries and no stress! Some may have even experienced the home DIY job which resulted in an unwanted haircut or style, not something you anticipated for. You end up far from your envisions of looking like that extremely attractive, glossy-haired celebrity on the cover of the box that claims to use box-dye. Sorry to break it to you, but that is most probably a lie. They more often than not have a certified hair colourist.
Are you thinking about switching from home box-dye to a professional and complete luxury experience, tailoring to each client's individual needs? Book an appointment at our Thorpe Bay Salon on 01702 588404 or our Leigh Salon on 01702 588404 today!